Damage to your home from water or fire can be devastating and overwhelming; and it can be difficult to know where to turn and what to do to move forward with restoration. Whether the damage has been caused by fire or water, the most important step is to have it assessed professionally before making any decisions in order to avoid putting yourself and your family at further risk.
Damage to the inside of your home from water can be the result of flooding from an external source such as rain or a flooded river or lake nearby, or from an internal source such as a burst or blocked water pipe. If the flooding has been caused by weather, there is not much you can do until the water has stopped rising and starts to recede, except for remove as many of your belongings as you can before the water gets too high.
If the flooding has been caused by a plumbing issue you will need to have the source seen to immediately in order to prevent more water from filling your home. Unfortunately water tends to seep into every crack and space including under floor boards and behind panelling. This makes extracting it and drying the home out very difficult. Unless the house is properly dried out there is a danger that the flood will result in more than inconvenience.
Any water left behind in cracks and crevices and under floor boards will cause mold to grow and can cause bacteria, making the air a health hazard for you and your family. In addition to this, it can weaken the structure of your home which at best will lower the value of the property and at worst could present a dangerous risk to those who live in the home.
When a home has been damaged by fire, once the flames have been extinguished the danger is still far from over. Restoring the inside of the home to the point where it is safe to live in again is a serious and difficult task. Airborne toxins released by the fire remain in the building long after the fire is over; and many people who try to clean up the damage themselves are exposed to these toxins along with the fumes from the cleaning materials they use.
This combination is extremely dangerous and can cause serious damage to the lungs. Although a fire damaged home can appear overwhelming, hiring professionals who are trained in smoke and fire damage will result in more than just cleaning up the home; it will also help to ensure that the building is safe for you and your family to live in again, free from the invisible dangers such as toxins and chemicals that have resulted from the fire.